Sunday, May 5, 2013

Book Review:Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn (no spoilers)

Book: Breathing Underwater
Author: Alex Flinn
Publication: April 24, 2010
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 Stars












Summary (from Goodreads):

Like father, like son.

 Intelligent, popular, handsome, and wealthy, sixteen-year-old Nick Andreas is pretty much perfect — on the outside, at least. What no one knows — not even his best friend — is the terror that Nick faces every time he is alone with his father. Then he and Caitlin fall in love, and Nick thinks his problems are over. Caitlin is the one person who he can confide in. But when things start to spiral out of control, Nick must face the fact that he's gotten more from his father than green eyes and money


My Thoughts:
This was my first book by Alex Flinn and I have to say she didn't disappoint. I picked this book up totally random after quitting Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. I just went to the library and picked up this book. I had heard about it on Goodreads and added it to my maybe I will read this book someday To Be Read list, but it was totally unplanned when I read it.

This is a book I'm so glad I don't relate to. Nick was abused as a child and he abused his girlfriend Caitlyn which lead to the restraining order she filed against him. This book is basically about Nick suffering the consequences of his actions and finding out more about himself in the process.

When I learned what this book was about I immediately thought I was absolutely going to hate Nick as a character. The funny part is that I didn't. I hated Nick's dad, but I didn't hate Nick totally as a character. Alex Flinn was able to make me sympathize for Nick in some parts and really not like him in other parts. I think she created a good balance. Caitlyn was a character I felt sorry for throughout the book, but I thought she was smart for filing a restraining order against Nick. We have all heard the story of it was my fault not his when in all truth if the guy is the one being abusive it is his fault.

This books main theme was paying for your actions and the consequences of your actions. Nick learned throughout the book more about himself than he expected to learn. Through his journal we got to learn more about his relationship with Caitlyn and his present life. The underlying theme I noticed towards the end was forgiveness. People have the power to change if they admit that they have a problem and want to change. Although things may not have turned out the way Nick would have liked them to he learned to forgive people. The ending was very powerful in Breathing Underwater. I was in awe as I finished this book that brought forward so many mixed emotions for me.

Overall I loved Breathing Underwater and I can't wait to read another book by Alex Flinn. The writing was simple, but amazing overall. The writing made me feel like I went to school with Nick and Caitlyn instead of being an outsider looking in. This book wasn't what I expected at all, but this book impressed me more than words can explain.


Thanks for reading


Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.