Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (no spoilers)

Book: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication: September 10th, 2013
Source: Local Library
Read: August 17th-27th, 2014
Summary (from Goodreads):
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

 Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

 But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

 Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

 Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to. 

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

 For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

 Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

 And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
.
My Thoughts: 
It seems to be the books that resonant with me the most that I have the hardest time writing a review on. I think that is why I have put off my review of Fangirl for quite a while after I finished reading it. I loved this book. This so far is my favorite Rainbow Rowell book I have read and I have read 3 this year. The reason I think I loved this book so much is how much I could relate to this book. So let's talk Fangirl. 

It is Cath and Wren's first year of college. I defiantly relate to Cath a lot more in her feelings about college. I remember last year being a freshman and being scared to live with a roommate, find friends, succeed in my classes, being away from home, and even eating in the dining hall.When I started college I had already had a full month on campus, but I still related to a lot of the same frustrations and fears Cath went through as a college freshman. I think Rainbow Rowell's description of the first year of college was accurate. It isn't easy to move on to this step of life, but now coming back as a college sophomore it is a lot easier and a lot more fun to be in college. 

Another huge part of this book is Cath's fangirling with Simon Snow. Rainbow Rowell made up this series and this whole world that is a fandom in Cath's life. I think this story added a lot to the story because it gave Cath something to do as a character and a reason for the way she is. 

I guess my favorite character in this novel is Levi. I have to admit that I was slightly jealous that Cath was able to find a guy like Levi in her first year of college. This is a fictional novel and I live real life and the right person will come along eventually. I think Levi was very laid back, but it could be sweet if he wanted to be. I guess I just liked his personality and think that he balances out Cath well. 

Then there is Cath's roommate Reagan and her twin sister Wren. Both of these characters grew on me slowly. I think Reagan's sarcastic attitude would get tiresome in real life, but int his book it worked. At first I wanted to know a lot more about Wren and after awhile she reminded me of people I don't care for. Eventually Wren grew on me and I ended up really liking her and the way she supported Cath. 

I was a bit disappointed by the ending of this novel. With the mounting anticipation before the final page I guess I just expected more. I didn't expect it to end on the note it did. It leaves me to make up my own ending for Cath, Levi, Reagan, and Wren. I fell in love with these characters and it was hard to leave them behind at the end. This was a great novel. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love love loved fangirl! Maybe it's cause I was on holiday without my usual stash of books and it was like my book salvation when I finally got my hands on it but ooo my did I love this book!! It's not my favourite though, I really loved Eleanor and Park quite a bit more. That book slayed me and drowned me in tears.. To be quite honest I'm just a massive Rowell fan alll in all! She's a really sweet author on twitter :D interacts with all her fans :)
    Great blog though! Really fun to read, I'm defo following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Rainbow Rowell. Every book of hers has been beautiful. I have yet to read Landline, but hopefully will soon.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.