Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Book Review: Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George (no spoilers)

Book: Princess of Glass
Author: Jessica Day George
Publication: May 25, 2010
Series: Princess #2
Source: Local Library
Read: February 5-9, 2015
Summary (from Goodreads):

Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other's countries in the name of better political alliances--and potential marriages. It's got the makings of a fairy tale--until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmother into competing with Poppy for the eligible prince. Ball gowns, cinders, and enchanted glass slippers fly in this romantic and action-packed happily-ever-after quest from an author with a flair for embroidering tales in her own delightful way.




My Thoughts:
This sequel to Princess of the Midnight Ball was a fun read. I really fell in love with the character of Poppy. Jessica Day George stated her reason for writing this Cinderella retelling is that there is no way the girls would want to be stuck in another fairy tale where there is a lot of dancing.

Poppy moves to another castle as part of the Princess exchange program. I really loved Poppy's character in Princess of the Midnight Ball, so I was happy to see her as part of this novel. She is very strong person. Poppy does not want to dance despite being great at it.  I didn't like Christian as much as I liked Galen, but he was very charming. Then there is Eleanor or Ella. Eleanor was born into a wealthy family, but after the death of her parents became a maid. She is clumsy, and could care less about doing her duties correctly. There is a twist to this Cinderella tale and that is that the Fairy Godmother is evil. The Corely told Ella lies in order to trap her in an enchantment.

I loved this Cinderella retelling because it mixed in the elements of Princess of the Midnight Ball into Princess of Glass. The story took a different turn to Cinderella. I didn't expect the ending that happened. It was not nearly as complex as the ending from Princess of the Midnight Ball, but I really liked the ending especially since there was some points that I wasn't sure what Poppy's part in the story was. This was my favorite in the Princess series because I love how this story took a twist on the tale of Cinderella. I really liked Eleanor and Princess Poppy as characters. I would recommend this series.


1 comment:

  1. I'm behind. When I made my last comment, I didn't realize you had already read these. I'm glad you read them and liked them! I love this twist on Cinderella. It is one of my favorites. Poppy was one of my favorite sisters as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.